On January 12th 1988
Jacqueline Smith began her protest
During that same year
- Benazir Bhutto was sworn in as Prime Minister of Pakistan, becoming the first woman to head the government of an Islam-dominated state.
- George H. W. Bush was elected over Michael Dukakis as President of the United States.
- The Iran-Iraq war ended, with an estimated one-million lives lost.
- After more than 8 years of fighting, the Red Army begins withdrawing from Afghanistan.
- Hurricane Gilbert devastated Jamaica; turning towards Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula 2 days later, causing an estimated $5 billion in damage.
- Imprisoned ANC leader Nelson Mandela celebrated his 70th birthday.
- A U.S. Navy ship shoots down Iranian airliner in Persian Gulf, mistaking it for jet fighter. It wasn’t a perfect world in 1988 and it still isn’t today. But by supporting this protest, you can play your part by supporting the legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther Jr.